Sunday, July 11, 2010

La Mia Giornata

Though I came to Firenze expecting to learn solely Art Restoration, specifically in fresco restoration and church pieces, this course also includes the art of fresco painting. As I learned how to mix sand and lime properly to yield the correct proportions for laying a smooth fresco foundation, I was struck by a term which resonates within me still: La Giornata.

"Giornata is an art term, originating from an Italian word which means "a day's work." The term is used in Buon fresco mural painting and describes how much painting can be done in a single day of painting. Knowing how much can be painted in a day is crucial in the Buon fresco technique, because in this technique a watercolor paint, without binder, is applied to wet lime plaster which binds the paint into the surface of the plaster when it dries, making for an extremely durable painting. An experienced fresco painter knows how much surface can be painted in a day, and wet plaster is applied to the wall in the right amount needed for each day's work. That amount is the giornata."
Painting like this, portion-by-portion, reminds me particularly on this Sunday how God has given me my daily portion. Every day I depend upon Him to get strength, creativity, inspiration, and hope for the day. It's a relationship built upon reliance, trust, and faith. One a beautiful Sunday like today in Firenze, I reflect upon these facts and encourage you to do the same! You may not be religious or even believe in God, but what do you need renewed daily: what is your daily portion?


My Fresco Painting Process:

La Madonna del Mare






(Come back for more updates, too, on my giornata!)

Note: I won't be updating for this entire week. The class is heading out to Chianti region in Tuscany to restore an alter fresco at La Chiesa di Santa Maria in San Gusme'. We all figured we'll be in a pretty rural area so most likely no interwebs, running water, or processed foods. ;)

Until then, Aivivaderci!

2 comments: