Monday, July 19, 2010

Dinner with the Doans

So tonight was what I like to call a hollaback homestyle night. (Warning: for those of you who despise alliteration, this post is not for you.) Hollaback since it was a throwback to family time, and homestyle since dinner to dessert was genuine Tuscan cooking--none of that Tourist trap business for us.

Allow me to explain:

After the serendipitous meeting yesterday, I knew the Doans were going to be in Florence. We set up a dinner date, though I was at a loss as to where to take them. First, I'm a poor student, meaning I eat what I cook (cereal). Second, I have this weird habit of needing to see all the options before choosing anything. Yes, I am that person that constantly changes radio stations in pursuit of the FM's finest selection. And that's certainly not feasible in Florence, but I still act as if it is. Anyway, I was at a loss. I finally got the brilliant idea of asking my Art Restoration teacher, a native to Florence. He told me his favorite, absolute favorite spots since they are

1. small
2. unsoiled by too many tourists
3. homestyle cooking, Tuscan style

(It didn't hurt either that he knows the owner.)

With his highly recommended restaurant and gelateria marked on my map, so our epicurean adventures began!

La Madia
Via del Giglio, 14 Firenze, Italia

Bruschetta appetizer: perfectly seasoned with basil and arugula

Formaggi antipasti: two types of pecorino and a soft cow cheese

My aunt's spaghetti al mare with mussels and homemade spaghetti goodness

My veal with truffles!

My cousin's stuffed rabbit


And for dessert...

Caffe' della Carrozze
Little known fact about Gelato in Florence--most of the big stands with the mounds and mounds of gelati, though seemingly delicious, are probably purchased from the same corporate gelato supplier (think Italian Costco). That means, you're paying for gelato that may not be as fresh or flavorful as the gelateria would like you to believe. Look for the small shops with fewer flavors. There, Gelato Artigianale as they call it is hand-made and hand-mixed on site. In other words: the flavors are much, much bolder, richer, and real.

Nocciola and Ferrero Rocher Gelato (MY FAVE!)

More pics and food and updates to come!

----
La mia giornata (Fresco update):

No comments:

Post a Comment